Thursday, February 18, 2010

Interview Journey

So today I went on a job interview... I will not discuss the interview itself, but instead focus on the journey to get to and from.... Hold On....

A typical American should get a kick out of this since the majority drives and does not use public transportation...

8:15am: Walk 350 steps to the Notting Hill Gate Tube Station
- Get on Central Line (£4 roundtrip - $6.60)to Oxford Cirrus stop, then change to get on the Victoria Line to Kings Cross....
-Walk to Rail Station

8:55am : Buy Rail Station Ticket to Bedford (as tfl.gov.uk told me to which was wrong) I bought a roundtrip ticket since I thought this would be my station on my return £18 ($29.70) - this ended up NOT being my stop

9:30 I get to my stop - St. Alban, I walk to the Bus stand and wait in the cold rain (no umbrella)
I later learn that the bus that TFL told me to take is ALSO incorrect. A nice stranger finally helped me get on the right bus to Welwyn Garden City Station. Bus £3.20 ($5.28)

10:10: I make it to Welwyn Garden City Station - Walk in the rain to find a taxi £5.50 ($9.08) - Get in the taxi and head to my interview...

10:25: Arrive at my location with wet hair and clothes.

Total One Way Commute: 2 hours & 15 minutes - 2 underground trains, 1 rail train, 1 bus, and 1 taxi just to get there.

Afterwards....

Taxi Back: £5 ($8.25)

On my return I found out that I couldn't use my return Rail ticket... I then had to buy another Rail ticket for £8 ($13.20)

Total Cost of Commute (RoundTrip): £43.30....($71.50)

I live in Notting Hill (Central London-ish) and this place was in North London... 25 miles from my flat. If I had a car here I could of driven there in about 45 minutes.

Welcome to London....

Cheers,
WMMc


1 comment:

  1. if you had a car... may i point you to your "the leopard one please" post. just think how much easier life would be. now i want to see pics of the UK version of walmart. so curious.

    ReplyDelete