Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Ham House and Gardens

Saturday some friends and I high tailed it to lovely Richmond (my 3rd visit) to explore Ham House and Garden.  One friend is a stately home junkie and was "jonesing" for a stately fix.
Ham Street, Ham, Richmond-upon-Thames, Surrey TW10 7RS
Telephone: 020 8940 1950

Ham House and Garden was enjoyed by the Tollemache family which also included the Lauderdale family for 400 years, today it survives as one of Europe's greatest 17th century houses.  It is now owned by the National Trust (www.nationaltrust.org.uk)

It has stood on this site since 1610, the front door is original to the house so make sure you get a good look at it on your way in. In fact, everything that you will see inside is original to the house.

I really enjoyed the Queen's Closet there you will find some funky reclining chairs that were used for sleeping (very Lazy Boy of them).  They are a naughty red color.




We also spotted some random life size cut outs. Not sure what they were there for...

The bathroom at Ham House was one of the first to be built in the UK. It was installed in 1675 when washing was not deemed essential.  However, in the 1890's when the 9th Earl installed the bath and shower in the alcove all that changed.  The 9th Earl also installed heating and electricity in the Ham House.  I think I would of liked him.  He seems to be a no nonsense kind of man.

Did you know that during this time they washed their clothes in urine!

We also learned what ladies used for protection when they got "the curse" (Jan's word, not mine) and after hearing that I am so thankful to be born when I was. Woo! Jan was full of good stories. I really liked her. I could sit and listen to her tell stories all day.

We also spotted a beautiful wheelchair.  The library is also a must see.
The ladies who work at Ham House are very passionate about the house so if you have any questions what so ever please be sure to ask because they are very eager to answer.

On the walk back to Richmond Station we spotted some cows and I was so excited I just had to stop and snap a picture.

Until my next Stately home visit...

Cheers,
WMMc

3 comments:

  1. Frankly, I was expecting more cured pork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They did serve ham at the cafe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As creepy as they are (especially the man), I can't help but scroll back up and look at the cut outs. You're right; very random as well as strange, but I dare say I kind of like them or at least they make me giggle. You have done some wonderful traveling so far. Keep it up!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete