Thursday, September 1, 2011

Windsor Castle

We finally took a day trip to Windsor Castle

The castle is an official residence of The Queen and the largest occupied castle in the world. A Royal home and fortress for over 900 years, the Castle remains a working palace today.  The Queen uses the Castle both as a private home, where she usually spends the weekend, and as a Royal residence at which she undertakes certain formal duties.   By the way, did you know that the Queen married her third cousin? Yep, sure did!



We took the Green Line bus to Windsor and the to and from could not have been any easier.  We hopped on the bus down the street from where we live and off we go...  An hour or so later we were dropped off just a few steps from the castle entrance.  So easy!!

It had been a crazy week and we were both tired, but went anyways.  I had it on my "to do" list to buy the tickets in advance. HA!  We arrived at the entrance and saw the 200+ people standing in line and I quickly remembered that I forgot to buy the tickets. OOPS!!  SOOOO when YOU go make sure you buy your admission tickets in advance.  It can be done online.  By the way, your ticket is good for an entire YEAR!  So go back as often as you like!

It was a nasty day with off and on showers so when we made it to the line to enter the famous dollhouse we skipped it. I know! I know! Shame on us, but it was cold and pouring down rain AND we did NOT have an umbrella... So we saw everything else and just skipped the dollhouse which I hear was an awful thing to do, but apparently it is a MUST see.  Maybe next time!

The castle is amazing.  So big, so pretty, so detailed, and so in the middle of the town of Windsor.  It being smack dab in the heart of Windsor cracked me up.  It just seemed a bit odd.

Would I want to live there? No, for me, its just simply too much stuff. I'd be getting rid of stuff left and right.  They'd kick me out for sure.

Is it worth a day trip? Yes, it is a great relaxed day trip. Just don't forget to buy your admission tickets in advance.

How's the shopping in Windsor? Well... I didn't see any stores that aren't already in London so I decided not to waste my time shopping in stores that I already have access too.
It is a very cute town though and definitely worth a stroll around...

Are you allowed to take pictures inside? NO

Here are some pictures of Windsor Castle:
Windsor Castle



The Tower

The Chapel

No comments:

Post a Comment