Friday, April 1, 2011

U.S. President Martin Van Buren: Lived in London?

U.S. President Martin Van Buren...located just off Oxford Street

We were strolling along Oxford Street the other day when Mike spotted some embassy's so we took a left and which embassy's we actually saw have left me, but what hasn't was the Blue Plaque (or blue dot as I like to say)  that I spotted, it was the "U.S. President Martin Van Buren lived here" blue dot.  This not only excited me, but it made me curious. Why did he live here? I had no idea so I went home and did some research as I usually do...
Martin Van Buren, Eighth President of the United States
Credit: Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division, LC-BH82401-5239 DLC

Now I will share what I learned:
  • He was the first president born an American citizen as his predecessors all were born before the Declaration of Independence and therefore born British subjects
  • 8th U.S. President 1837-1841
  • Born in Kinderhook, New York in 1782
  • Died in Kinderhook, New York in 1862
  • His parents were Dutch
  • English was not his first Language
  • He was 5 ft. 6 inches tall
  • He was referred to as "a little squirt"
  • He had crazy large chop sideburns (as you can see from the picture above)
  • His wife Hannah died at age 35 (1819) and he never remarried
  • He was a father
  • New York State Senator 1813-1815
  • New York Attorney-General 1815-19
  • United States Senator, 1821-29 
  • Governor of New York, 1829 
  • Secretary of State, 1829-1831 (under Jackson) 
  • Minister to England, 1831 (hence the blue dot)
  • Vice President, 1833-1837 (under Jackson) 
  • Major Events While in Office:
  • Panic of 1837 (1837)
  • Caroline Affair (1837)

No comments:

Post a Comment