Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Villa D'Este

After Milan we went to beautiful Lake Como for 5 nights.  Staying in Lake Como for that long means that without a doubt you do not have to rush to do anything... so... on one lazy day (yes, while I was still sick)  I booked us a romantic lunch at Villa D'Este at their Veranda Restaurant.  We arrived and I was heaven just like I thought I would be.

Villa D'Este was built in 1568 and since then has become one of the most luxurious hotels in the world or at least that's what Conde Nast and Travel + Leisure have to say about it.  Some even say it was the first hotel in the world.

There was no way we were paying their room rate so I opted for lunch instead of a hotel stay.  I was still sick so I stuck with sparkling water while the mister was having a delicious glass of wine... oh well, can't have it all I guess...  I skipped a starter so that I could focus on more important courses like DESSERT.  I ordered the mushroom risotto made with a special "7 year aged" rice (can you really age RICE?) and some herbs that I've never had before and it was delicious.  The mister had the Veal Milanese and it was delicious! He was generous enough to share.

Then comes dessert. I ordered the cherry souffle and the mister ordered this chocolate trio plate that made me so jealous, it was amazing, food art on a plate. Again, he shared!  My souffle was good, but not great.  I think if I would have been able to take my eyes off Mike's plate mine may have been better HA!

I know what you are thinking... WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!  As for the inside shots and the food I was a good girl and kept my camera in my purse, it's a dslr so its not tiny like a point and shoot.  I had to use Mike's phone camera and am still waiting on him to email those to me (Mike if you are reading this hint hint).  BUT, I do have shots of the outside!! The grounds at Villa D'Este are GORGEOUS!  Let me show you:

we had lunch under the awning behind my head~ the staff is AMAZING! SOOO nice!

this picture does not even give this beautiful garden justice

who wouldn't want to swim here?

this not the main hotel, just a side building...

1 comment: