Saturday, May 7, 2011

Beijing: "That was cool list"

Beijing: "That was cool list"



For our 7th anniversary we high tailed it to China now that's what I call getting away from a Royal Wedding, no worries though because we watched it in China with every other visitor.  I even went so far as to wear a shirt with a crown on it that day. Yeah, I know. DORK.

Great Wall of China
Forbidden City
  • I do believe the coolest of all was climbing the Mutianyu section (90km north of Beijing) of the Great Wall of China.  It's the same portion of the wall that former President Bill Clinton climbed. Yeah, I'm a fan of Bill Clinton sorry guys. He's a charmer what can I say... Seriously though, I did NOT know this tidbit before arriving at the actual wall. Seriously!  We took a VERY SCARY cable car to the top. This section of the wall is built on the older Qi Dynasty section AD 550-77 and its not as heavily restored as the Badaling section nor is it crowded with tourist. Well it wasn't before I posted this anyways... As they say in the Ridge "Over yonder ways is a place called Mongolia"... (it was to our right when walking so I would have been pointing in that direction when saying it).  I gotta admit this is one of the coolest places my eyes have ever seen and my feet have ever walked.  Great Wall of China? Yeah I've been there (Insert the biggest smile ever here) My arm is finally healing from the bruises from pinching myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming.  
  • Forbidden City: Built in 1406.  It's not forbidden.  It's not extremely cool, but cool enough.  It is FREAKING HUGE though. Maybe that's where they got the city part?... 
  • My husband planning a secret romantic dinner at Capital M.  The plates even had an "M" on them... psst! if you turn them upside its a "W" (insert giggle here)...my initials... pretty perfect I say.
  • Visiting the "Birds Nest" and the "Water Cube" from the 2008 Olympics. Now that was pretty bad ass.  We took a tour and got to check out everything. We even sat in a couple seats.
The Water Cube behind us and my new scarf around my neck. I found it in a cute shop in 798 Art District
Inside the Birds Nest
798 Art District
  •  We also really liked this cool area called 798 Art District. It was pretty cool!
  • Ghost Market I think is the name of the market with all the crazy food. You can tell the really good places because of the crowds waiting to place an order. The market pretty much never closes from what I hear.  If you've seen the Beijing episode of "An Idiot Abroad" that's the market that Karl is walking through. It's pretty unique.
  • We stayed at Hotel G and we thought it was pretty cool. Very trendy. Made us feel young and hip.
  • Another cool treat was the Oreo Blizzard from Dairy Queen we devoured at the mall. Man, that was tasty! I need to see if London has a Dairy Queen. Every so often you just need a Blizzard. For real!
Hotel G

These guys outside the Birds Nest just made me happy so I had to get a picture with them. Too cute.
  • A lovely little lake district called "Hou Hai" ~ A lot going on here...
  • Tian'an Men Square ~ The largest public square in the world
  • Wang Fu Jing is a shopping area if you want to buy just about anything

No comments:

Post a Comment