Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bread On The Coast Trip

Yes, you read correctly...Bread...On...The...Coast...
I was skimming some blogs one day and read about this place called River Cottage Farm in Axminster, England on Gweneth Paltrow's blog "goop.com"...  So I did some research and decided I really wanted to go there and take their all day bread making class, but needed a partner in crime.  I knew Mike would have no part of this so I asked a few friends and one actually said YES!  So I got in planning mode and took care of everything.

We took a train for 3 hours to Axminster...I surprised Ena with a lavish breakfast for our 3 hour ride:
I made the scones

Then we arrived in Axminster just a few miles from the Jurassic Coast:
Downtown Axminster. We ate lunch at the place with the green trim. River Cottage Canteen.
Route 66 American Diner. The Confederate flag concerned me.
The view from downtown.





The stores in Axminster had interesting signage...Here are a couple examples:
Please feel free to browse with no obligation to purchase
That sign says: No Glue Will Be Sold To Anyone Under 16



Now for our fabulous lunch which is owned by the place where we took the bread making class:
The inside of River Canteen Cottage. Those are animal skins...
The menu
Our courgette and goat cheese starter
Roasted Tomato Soup with Pumpkin Seed & Basil Pesto
Courgette and Onion Fritters with Salad. So big I only ate one. The green glasses were recycled wine bottles.

Then our taxi arrived and off to Trill Farm, a different farm (350 acres) where we were spending the night:
Some of Trill Farm. It started pouring rain the minute we arrived...
The yellow bag was full of poo.  The chicken was our first friend of few that we made.

Another shot of Trill Farm
Another shot of Trill Farm

Once we had checked into the farm we were off to visit the Jurassic Coast area of Lyme Regis...

Lyme Regis coming up next...

Cheers,
WMMc

No comments:

Post a Comment